Xtreme Wrestling League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
XWL is currently on a long-term hiatus as of August 3rd, 2022.
CHAMPIONS (5/4/2022)

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT

ROBERT ROODE

INTERCONTINENTAL

VACANT

WORLD TAG TEAM

SAMOA JOE & KEVIN OWENS

WOMEN'S

ALEXA BLISS

NORTH AMERICAN

LIV MORGAN

INTERIM: BECKY LYNCH

MEN'S MITB

VACANT

WOMEN'S MITB

VACANT

What XWL Is All About

Go down 
+6
Man of pain
MicksterG951
Sable
TheKrzyOne
Zander
P.R Son
10 posters
AuthorMessage
P.R Son
Legend
P.R Son

What XWL Is All About Empty
PostSubject: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Opening Message

When I created this league I did it for a lot of reasons, but one of the main ones was a way to create an outlet for people that all wanted the same thing to come together and have fun with the WWE games. We all know what Xbox Live is like, people care more about winning than having fun, they hack, they cheat, they spam, they stall, and nobody wants to put up with that. While I never could have imagined the league would be this successful and grow so much, as well as create such a strong community, there are some kinks that need to be worked out. We've got a set guide of rules for a reason, it's supposed to show you what's going to help you and others have a good fun match, and what will cause drama, disputes, and overall what will cause people to have a bad time.

So due to the recent change in the feel of some matches, as well as some newer members not getting the correct mindset straight away, I've decided to create this thread to help change all of that. So below I'm going to list what's going to help YOU have a good match with your fellow members that all want the same thing, and what will cause YOU and the people you face to have a less than satisfying match.

What causes a bad match?

For starters, I'm sure the number one thing that irks people more than anything, especially in XWL, is waiting. Before in the past we weren't as strict on this, but times have changed and waiting is not acceptable under any circumstances. It does nothing but create an instantly unbearable match that you want over as soon as you possibly can end it. Some defend this by calling it "strategic timing" but the real skill isn't taking a piss and a jog around the neighborhood before doing EVERY move, it's hitting your moves as fast as the game allows you, and if your opponent reverses so what? If they're not waiting then that means you'll be able to reverse too, which creates an awesome chain of reversals. What are some examples of waiting?

A. The first is a simple one, but one we've all encountered one time or another, you're in the groggy position standing up, and your opponent is in front of you just standing there having a good ol' staring contest with you. Just when you think it's going to be a heated battle of the eyes for no damn reason, they suddenly grapple you! Two, Three, Four, even Five seconds into your groggy state, they will FINALLY do their move on you, and then, they'll pick ya' up and do the same thing! Does that sound fun? Does that sound like it'll create an epic match that you'll never shut up about? No, and the only reason you'll never shut up about it is because you'll be in disbelief at the fact that they actually just did that.

B. You're in the corner, maybe you were just whipped there, maybe they struck you into the corner, it doesn't matter, you're there, and your opponent is nearby. So if they're a little ways away they'll have to walk over to you to do a corner grapple, that's understandable, no way around that right? However, if they're actually right beside you, and still don't grapple as soon as you reach that corner? Well then that's example number two of waiting. You're laid back in the corner, nothing to do until you recover enough to leave it, and your opponent is right there once again having a pointless staring contest with you. Seconds pass, they pass more, some short waiting, some long waiting, but they still don't grapple as soon as they can, so it doesn't matter if it's short, long, at the end of the day it's still waiting, and as you can tell by now, that's not a good thing, that's a very bad thing.

C. One of the most simplistic forms of waiting is when you're in a chain grapple battle, now this one isn't looked upon as bad as the previous two, however it still holds you back from having the kind of match you could possibly be having. Chain wrestling is fun to watch because of how so many different moves can flow into the next, however if you're standing there in a front head lock for five seconds or so before every single chain grapple you do, that's going to not only prevent said chain wrestling spots, it's going to piss off your opponent pretty badly because that's once again PREVENTING the fun you could be having.

Next on the list? Spamming! In Wrestling superstars have their own combination of moves, they might do two clotheslines in a row, and that's fine if you're trying to emulate your superstars signatures moves....but there's a fine line between trying to recreate familiar moments, and just doing the same move over and over. Spamming frustrates those on the opposing end of the moves because they keep being hit with the same moves every few seconds, and if you're constantly attacked the same way so much, you're going to have a bad time. So what really is spamming?

A. The most common, the overuse of a move position. Running too much, diving and ESPECIALLY springboarding too much, even doing nothing but groggy grapples over and over is a type of spamming. There's strike spam where they just won't stop striking you over and over, while this one is harder to control due to some missed strike combos, it's still spamming and if you're striking someone to death they're gonna wanna knock you on your ass and keep you there so they don't get hit with another.

B. Doing the same move over and over is also what you're most likely to encounter. Say you've got a really cool move in your moveset, it might be amazing to see the first or second time, but if you've seen this move ten times in a ten minute match? Well then you've got yourself a spamming problem.

C. Not mixing it up. What do I mean by that? It's as simple as this, THQ has given us loads of ways of doing moves in matches. We've got corner, diving, springboard, apron, running, top rope grapples, Irish whip rebounds, submissions in many positions, chain grapples, groggy grapples, strikes, and that's not even counting the different things you can do OUTSIDE of the ring. The fun in having all of these different ways to do damage in matches, is using these ways! At the end of the day it's supposed to be about fun, and there's no fun in facing someone that just doesn't know how to utilize the many things they can do in matches. With all of these options, and MORE there is no reason why people should run too much, grapple too much, and ESPECIALLY the most spammed thing of them all, diving/springboarding too much.

There is one final key element to a good match, and without it you may as well just forget the other two because this will set the tone place a role in how a match will go. What is that you ask? Having fun. Is it really that simple? Yes, it's so simple yet so many forget this important factor in matches, they get all hopped up on wanting to have winning streaks or titles, or gaining momentum for certain storylines, that they forget the most crucial thing a match is supposed to be about, having fun. Do you want to fear facing certain people given previous experiences in matches? Maybe you wanted to have a good lengthy battle but they just wanted to get it over with at any cost, even if that cost was fun? Well then that brings us to this last problem, remembering why we resort to leagues in the first place.

A. While spamming can be a deciding factor to throw in the towel online, as well as facing people that utilizes certain hacks, there is another that we often forget for whatever reason or another. Leagues are created for the simple point of having fun. Having fun with many different feuds, storylines, and promos is part of a great league that everyone wants to be apart of. But the other part? Ties together with all of this, the matches. Do you wanna spend all month having amazing build and promos between someone, then the PPV comes time, you're pumped, excited, and ready for the next step of your rivalry, but then, when the match is over, you're just left shocked, confused, but overall frustrated?

B. Why are they frustrated you ask? Because instead of tearing the house down, you didn't even build it in the first place! The match is lacking, it's short, it's boring, it's to the point, and it's most importantly of all, not fun. Ending the match asap when you yourself were trying to have a good solid match that you could both be excited about and enjoy, does nothing but kill the fire that was there between you two. Maybe you had plans to feud for months? Well after a disappointing match due to someone wanting to win too badly and putting fun on the back burner, those plans suddenly change due to being annoyed, let down, and lacking motivation after an experience like this.

C. In the midst of feuds and title plans, we lose sight of the bigger picture, at the end of the day, titles and wins in an online league amount to absolutely nothing. It doesn't make you this cool hot stuff in real life just because you won a title in your Xbox 360 league, so why act like it's such a big deal? If you're in a title match, or ANY match for that matter, you're supposed to be an example as XWL members what we are all about. And if you're trying to have as quick of a match as possible, maybe even squash your opponent, that's not fun, and especially in feuds, that can just kill all motivation. I'm not saying you have to let people kill you, I know dying on purpose isn't going to be fun to you, but maybe try to draw it out a little more, try for spots, try for exciting moments, this league is supposed to be about having fun, and there's nothing more fun than having a killer match that you and your opponents talk about nonstop.

So How Can You Have A Good Match?

1. DON'T DELAY! It's as simple as that, I can't be more cut and dry, it's just as plain as day, if you're waiting, or your opponent is waiting, you're gonna have a bad time, and that's going to potentially lead to angst between one another for the considerable future, or make people not wanna face you in a match because you lost sight of how you should be playing if you truly want a fun match. Do your moves as quick as possible, don't stand there like a dumbass while they're in a position where they can be attacked, keep the action rolling, just have FUN.

2. SWITCH IT UP! Again, self explanatory, spamming causes frustration because you're constantly hit with the same moves over and over....and there's only so much patience you can have when you're being hit with an excessive amount of running/diving/springboard moves, and those are just the common overused moves. Learn how to change up your attacks, if you just did a groggy grapple maybe toss them into the corner, strike them, pull them up to the top rope, do a top rope grapple, if you're a high flyer do a springboard after that and cover breaking at two, it's realistic, it's creating a different tone by using so many different variations of attacking someone, and most important of all, if you don't spam, your opponent and you will have way more fun than you would otherwise.

3. STOP CARING ABOUT WINNING SO MUCH! Winning is nice sure for character progression, and title stuff, but again, it all means nothing at the end of the day. But what does mean something? Is the matches you have, because you play this game to have FUN and if you're obsessing about a win or losing so much, then you're not going to be trying to have a killer classic with your friend, you're just gonna be doing everything you can, no matter how annoying or meh, to win the match. Another thing, don't stay on your opponents ass. There are pin combinations, pins, and submissions for a reason, USE THEM. Hit a big move on someone? Cover them, and break at two, apply a submission? Don't apply it until they're about to break free and then let go, let them break free, lock up, and get back to having a match. Just because we don't allow you to win off anything but finishers doesn't mean you can't go for nearfalls, those make the best matches in real life, so why not create that in the matches you have? Hell, look at Krzy as an example, he will do everything he can in the matches he has to have cool spots, amazing finishing moments, a war of the submissions, leverage pin offs, and just a true fun match. He doesn't care about winning or losing, he just tries to have fun, and we all need to be like that. We're going on four years as a league, that's huge, so we need to make sure we last another four by going back to the key factor of a league, fun. It's easy to lose sight of that for whatever reason, but that is really all that matters, fair play will lead to fun play, which leads to a whole hell of a lot of fun.

In Conclusion

I wanted to make this thread to help people that might have lost sight of what the point of this is all about, maybe they don't realize they do these things, maybe people haven't told them, maybe they've had conflicts with people because of playing like this, I just thought that something like this could really help everyone, so that matches are looked forward to no matter who you face that week. So no one feels meh after what should be and is SUPPOSED to be fun between one another. I urge everyone to reevaluate how you play, some of this might seem so simple, but it goes a long way. With Eye For An Eye coming up I wanted to turn the tide starting now, everyone remember it's all about fun in the end, so what if you don't win this match or that match, if you had fun, that's all that really matters. It might be a lot to read, but I've got into great detail on many issues members have complained about or done themselves, so as owner I want to ensure that my members are happy, that they are having fun, and if everyone can just remember to simply put fun first, then I truly believe that you will not only be more motivated to do your matches and promos, but that you'll be helping me create an environment that everyone wants to be apart of.

Back to top Go down
Zander
Main Eventer
Zander

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Klass
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Zander wrote:
Klass
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

What XWL Is All About Tumblr_m2sx9qfIza1rskaxho7_250
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Great thread.
Back to top Go down
TheKrzyOne
Main Eventer

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 pm

RCP wrote:
Great thread.
I hope it inspired you to stop playing like a scrub.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:18 pm

TheKrzyOne wrote:
RCP wrote:
Great thread.
I hope it inspired you to stop playing like a scrub.
It's not my fault I can't win. okay
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:19 pm

I don't think wanting to win makes it less fun, it makes it more fun if you don't go the route of doing ANYTHING to win like the people on live.

Also i was super pumped for the EC for the world titles then everyone said they only wanted to have fun and didint even care to win the title, that took all of my hype for the ONLY matches i would of watched in full.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:20 pm

ewantu2 wrote:
I don't think wanting to win makes it less fun, it makes it more fun if you don't go the route of doing ANYTHING to win like the people on live.

Also i was super pumped for the EC for the world titles then everyone said they only wanted to have fun and didint even care to win the title, that took all of my hype for the ONLY matches i would of watched in full.

what
Back to top Go down
Zander
Main Eventer
Zander

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:21 pm

LastChancery wrote:
ewantu2 wrote:

what

I think he's trying to tell us something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:22 pm

LastChancery wrote:
ewantu2 wrote:

what

Sorry if you could not understand. I said "wanting to win makes the match fun"
Back to top Go down
Sable
Mid Card
Sable

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm

ewantu2 wrote:
LastChancery wrote:
ewantu2 wrote:

what

Sorry if you could not understand. I said "wanting to win makes the match fun"
Yeah for you maybe.
Back to top Go down
MicksterG951
Mid Card
MicksterG951

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 pm

ewantu2 wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/MicksterG951
Man of pain
Jobber
Man of pain

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:42 pm

How would winning matches make it more fun
Back to top Go down
Jonguin
Main Eventer

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 am

Can Bang come back now noooo
Back to top Go down
Bang
Main Eventer
Bang

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Penguin wrote:
Can Bang come back now noooo

Nope.
Back to top Go down
P.R Son
Legend
P.R Son

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 10:53 pm

I suggest everyone reread this thread that I funny enough posted exactly one year ago today, to the date.

Here are some helpful cliffs for those that don't have time to read it in full.

What causes a bad match?

For starters, I'm sure the number one thing that irks people more than anything, especially in XWL, is waiting.

If you would like to find out what examples of waiting are, it's available at the very beginning of the post, and I can go in very deep detail so that you can be as informed as possible.

Next on the list? Spamming! In Wrestling superstars have their own combination of moves, they might do two clotheslines in a row, and that's fine if you're trying to emulate your superstars signatures moves....but there's a fine line between trying to recreate familiar moments, and just doing the same move over and over. Spamming frustrates those on the opposing end of the moves because they keep being hit with the same moves every few seconds, and if you're constantly attacked the same way so much, you're going to have a bad time.

To find out what Spamming is, please continue to the number 2 portion of the "What causes a Bad Match" area. It's incredibly helpful and again I go in deep detail.

There is one final key element to a good match, and without it you may as well just forget the other two because this will set the tone place a role in how a match will go. What is that you ask? Having fun. Is it really that simple? Yes, it's so simple yet so many forget this important factor in matches, they get all hopped up on wanting to have winning streaks or titles, or gaining momentum for certain storylines, that they forget the most crucial thing a match is supposed to be about, having fun. Do you want to fear facing certain people given previous experiences in matches? Maybe you wanted to have a good lengthy battle but they just wanted to get it over with at any cost, even if that cost was fun? Well then that brings us to this last problem, remembering why we resort to leagues in the first place.

This last portion of the "What causes a Bad Match" section informs you the members the damage that is done when fun is thrown out the window, along with everyone's patience. I suggest everyone read/reread this part because if you don't understand the problem, we as a league won't be able to avoid this issue that plagues leagues and the online experience all together.

This next part is especially helpful, because it informs you on how all of the above can be avoided.

So How Can You Have A Good Match?

1. DON'T DELAY! It's as simple as that, I can't be more cut and dry, it's just as plain as day, if you're waiting, or your opponent is waiting, you're gonna have a bad time.

There is more for those that need it, and it'll be found at the very beginning of the "How can you have a good match" section.

2. SWITCH IT UP! Again, self explanatory, spamming causes frustration because you're constantly hit with the same moves over and over....and there's only so much patience you can have when you're being hit with an excessive amount of running/diving/springboard moves, and those are just the common overused moves.

Again, more info if needed in the original post.

3. STOP CARING ABOUT WINNING SO MUCH!

Does it get more simple than that?

Here's some helpful information as to why this is so crucial.

Winning is nice sure for character progression, and title stuff, but again, it all means nothing at the end of the day. But what does mean something? Is the matches you have, because you play this game to have FUN and if you're obsessing about a win or losing so much, then you're not going to be trying to have a killer classic with your friend, you're just gonna be doing everything you can, no matter how annoying or meh, to win the match.

I originally created this thread, on this exact day, one year ago, and unfortunately I feel I need to bring this to the attention of the league once more. I can't stress it enough, WINNING DOESN'T MATTER. I don't wanna go into matches fearing if it'll be fun, if they'll play fair, if I have to worry about getting closer to them and getting hit with a finisher. That last part isn't against the rules but seriously are you going to make me walk all the way across the ring because you won't get near me just so you can do your damn finisher and win? This may sound like a rant but honestly as the person that created this league, I know my vision for it, I know what I want from it, and what is best for it. I used to be able to have the most fun matches imaginable here, and honestly, I'd say that's decreased massively.

We need to stop caring about winning whatever, and just enjoy the match itself, being champion won't effect your life, winning some random match against someone you likely will never meet will not benefit you in ANY way, so why play like it? You don't have to follow everything in the original post to have a great match, but one thing we should follow aside from the not spamming/waiting portion because F you waiters, I'm not here for you to take a piss break then do a move finally...

But what we should take from this post I made a year ago, is that fun needs to come first, because I've seen so many examples of how it drastically makes matches so much better. It's an overall more enjoyable experience for everyone, and I hate that that notion has gotten lost. We're supposed to create and inhabit an environment that everyone wants to be apart of, because it's so different from what you get outside of it, but it's not so different if people are just hopped up on winning no matter what. I ask you the members, the ones that have made it possible for XWL to be heading into it's fifth year running...remember to have fun, it's as simple as that. Please, just have fun with each other, I miss that XWL. The XWL where any opponent, no matter new or not, would give you a fun experience.

Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 9:16 am

With the waiting thing, most of the time you have to wait in a chain grapple to hit it... But it's annoying when you just stand there in a awkward looking grapple for like 5-10seconds before the move is done.

Lets hope 2k fixed it Rose IGN 
Back to top Go down
T-Roll
Upper Mid Card
T-Roll

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 10:36 pm

*bumping because I love this thread*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What XWL Is All About   What XWL Is All About Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What XWL Is All About
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Xtreme Wrestling League :: Archives :: Past Discussions-
Jump to: