Xtreme Wrestling League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
XWL is currently on a long-term hiatus as of August 3rd, 2022.
CHAMPIONS (5/4/2022)

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT

ROBERT ROODE

INTERCONTINENTAL

VACANT

WORLD TAG TEAM

SAMOA JOE & KEVIN OWENS

WOMEN'S

ALEXA BLISS

NORTH AMERICAN

LIV MORGAN

INTERIM: BECKY LYNCH

MEN'S MITB

VACANT

WOMEN'S MITB

VACANT

Chris Jericho...

Go down 
+3
TheFilthParade
Sable
Bang
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Chris Jericho is suspended for 30 days following last night's incident at a house show in Brazil. Supposedly before his match with CM Punk, Jericho hoisted up a Brazilian flag. Then, he wadded it up and kicked it in the air. This drew huge amounts of boo from the audience. The police were actually there to arrest Jericho, for doing any kind of damage to a nations flag is a federal crime. Luckily, the police were light-faced, and WWE had 2 options. Either 1: WWE could send a referee down and make Jericho apologize mid match, or 2: The police arrest him. Well, WWE chose 1. So a referee came down, gave Jericho a mic, and he apologized. The match was restarted and Punk won. After the match, Jericho had a conversation with the police and Jericho faces no charges. After the show, Jericho was flew out of the county quick to prevent any attack from civilians. That's when WWE "suspended" him for 30 days. So, guys, what are your thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:14 pm

I think it's harsh on Jericho. He's an entertainer not a racist. I don't think he meant to offend anyone.

And this is nowhere near as bad as Sgt Slaughter burning the USA flag when he was a heel back in the day. I can't remember reading anything about him being punished for that, but I may be wrong as I didn't watch wrestling at that time (I think it was in the 80s and I wasn't even born lol).
Back to top Go down
Bang
Main Eventer
Bang

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:27 pm

I think JBL and Michaels summed it up well enough, two men we have got more then their fair share of cheap heat from foreign crowds(JBL Goosestepping, beating up immigrants, Godzilla etc and HBK taking the Canadian flag wiping his nose with it, using it as a towel and humping it). Both said it's easy heat for a heel, heat that any heel would of took, even more so a veteran like Jericho. And both said it was clearly not a hate crime and done for entertainment purposes, which if you've watched the video the crowd knew it as well.

I'm not going to blame the police for getting involved because at the end of the day it was illegal and they're doing their job, and I'm guessing they aren't too famillar with the crazy world of wrestling and thought it could cause a riot, but at least officials reasoned with them and kept Jericho from getting arrested.

The only thing that annoys me about it is the suspension, because it's just ridiculous, after already being force to say he's sorry to the crowd, I think removing him from the tour and the suspension is way too much but I'm guessing it was because WWE fears backlash from the sponsors.
Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:29 pm

I think both Jericho and the Brazil police are at fault here. For one WWE or Jericho should have contacted the police and told them he was gonna do this. And the Brail Police shouldn't have been this harsh on Jericho.
Back to top Go down
Sable
Mid Card
Sable

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:30 pm

- WWE is entertainment
- Chris Jericho is a heel

How hard is that for Brazil to figure out?

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but all he did was disrupt their flag. I could understand that the flag is a symbol of their country, but its not like it was their only flag or it won't damage their country in anyway. Like Red said Slaughter did something like this with the US flag and if I recall JBL did something like it as well but in Germany and not much action was taken. Jericho was playing his role and trying to get some heat like hes supposed to but everyone there is butthurt instead.
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm

The One Man Revolution wrote:
I think both Jericho and the Brazil police are at fault here. For one WWE or Jericho should have contacted the police and told them he was gonna do this. And the Brail Police shouldn't have been this harsh on Jericho.

...lol

First off, WWE didn't know Jericho was going to do it, it seems. It was done in the heat of the moment.

Two, What Jericho did is breaking the law in Brazil, so how is it the police's fault? They could have arrested him if they wanted to but they just let him say sorry instead.

So, It's pretty much all down to Jericho.
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:37 pm

#lemmule wrote:
- WWE is entertainment
- Chris Jericho is a heel

How hard is that for Brazil to figure out?

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but all he did was disrupt their flag. I could understand that the flag is a symbol of their country, but its not like it was their only flag or it won't damage their country in anyway. Like Red said Slaughter did something like this with the US flag and if I recall JBL did something like it as well but in Germany and not much action was taken. Jericho was playing his role and trying to get some heat like hes supposed to but everyone there is butthurt instead.

Yeah, JBL was Goose-stepping on the apron.
Back to top Go down
Zander
Main Eventer
Zander

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:42 pm

It's absolutely laughable, Jericho must be pissed. The apology and the police doing their jobs part I understand because they probably didn't expect the whole heat drawing heel thing but for the WWE to suspend him? WTF They do much more outrageous stuff every damn year.
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Zander wrote:
It's absolutely laughable, Jericho must be pissed. The apology and the police doing their jobs part I understand because they probably didn't expect the whole heat drawing heel thing but for the WWE to suspend him? WTF They do much more outrageous stuff every damn year.

Because it's breaking the law and really offensive to Brazilians. So they are just doing what's best for them has a company, for their image. Kinda like how they fired Daniel Bryan for choking Justin Roberts.

Jericho broke the law whilst performing for them so they had to take their own action.
Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:51 pm

1. WWE had no idea this was going to happen

2. Jericho posted on Twitter that he loved coming to Brazil. Therefore, he just wanted heat.

3. The reason that JBL and HBK didn't get in trouble by WWE is because that was when WWE was PG-13. Now they're trying to keep it PG, and they don't want kids to be seeing this.

4. I think the suspension is just story-lined because like next week, his band Fozzy goes on tour.
Back to top Go down
P.R Son
Legend
P.R Son

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:55 pm

CoolVikings69 wrote:

3. The reason that JBL and HBK didn't get in trouble by WWE is because that was when WWE was PG-13. Now they're trying to keep it PG, and they don't want kids to be seeing this.

4. I think the suspension is just story-lined because like next week, his band Fozzy goes on tour.

The rating has nothing to do with it. This was their first time in Brazil so they just want to be able to return there hence them treating this as serious as they have.

It's not storylined, he wasn't leaving yet for that, hell he had just began a storyline with Orton on RAW.
Back to top Go down
Bang
Main Eventer
Bang

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:55 pm

CoolVikings69 wrote:

2. Jericho posted on Twitter that he loved coming to Brazil. Therefore, he just wanted heat.

To anybody that's saw it, it was obvious he just wanted heat.

CoolVikings69 wrote:

They have 4 or 5 dates in July, that's it.
Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho... Empty

So this is on par with a drug test failure if he's suspended for 30 days...?

And what about CM Punk telling a fan to kill themselves on twitter? He wasn't suspended for that.

I think it's being blown out of proportion. I would understand if he pissed on the flag or something...
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Dave wrote:
CoolVikings69 wrote:

The rating has nothing to do with it. This was their first time in Brazil so they just want to be able to return there hence them treating this as serious as they have.

It's not storylined, he wasn't leaving yet for that, hell he had just began a storyline with Orton on RAW.

Actually Fozzy are playing across the UK in two weeks, so he'd have been gone for a week anyway.

But yeah, Fuck anyone who blames PG for everything, Seriously get the fuck over it already.
Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:29 pm

I think the suspension was honestly unnecessary, although I can see where it came from. There have been a lot more offensive things throughout wrestling history, some named... And others like Kurt Angle blowing his nose with the Indian flag during his debut, Muhammed Hassan's gimmick.. Jericho shouldn't really be suspended just for kicking the flag. But then again, WWE is a company and has to try and retain its image so yeah
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Hassan's gimmick wasn't even offensive lol
Back to top Go down
Sable
Mid Card
Sable

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:36 pm

RCP wrote:
I think the suspension was honestly unnecessary, although I can see where it came from. There have been a lot more offensive things throughout wrestling history, some named... And others like Kurt Angle blowing his nose with the Indian flag during his debut, Muhammed Hassan's gimmick.. Jericho shouldn't really be suspended just for kicking the flag. But then again, WWE is a company and has to try and retain its image so yeah
poker face

His gimmick was not even close to being bad in any way.

Last edited by #lemmule on Fri May 25, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:37 pm

RCP wrote:

How was Hassan's gimmick offensive? His entire gimmick was about being an Arab-American growing up in America facing racism and prejudice every step of the way. Go and watch some of his promos on youtube.

The last part of his WWE career was just bad timing. To me, being from the UK even that wasn't offensive. In no way was it implied Hassan's henchmen were terrorists.

The man lost his career due to his gimmick and assumptions made by the media, which is a shame as he was talented. They backed WWE into a corner and pretty much forced his release.
Back to top Go down
TheKrzyOne
Main Eventer

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm not sure if anybody mentioned it yet, but Hassan's gimmick wasn't really that offensive.
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:49 pm

TheKrzyOne wrote:
I'm not sure if anybody mentioned it yet, but Hassan's gimmick wasn't really that offensive.

Glad someone finally said it.
Back to top Go down
Bang
Main Eventer
Bang

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Hassan's gimmick was offensive, because he wore a turban and was a Muslim, and in America if you wear a turban or you're of Islamic faith then you're automatically in al-Qaeda.
Back to top Go down
P.R Son
Legend
P.R Son

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Dayman wrote:
Hassan's gimmick was offensive, because he wore a turban and was a Muslim, and in America if you wear a turban or you're of Islamic faith then you're automatically in al-Qaeda.

The sad thing is Bang's right. Though it's gotten a lot better now, when it was going on at the time it was offensive to a certain large crowd. That's probably why he got so much heat.
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:55 pm

He got so much heat because he was a great heel, not because his gimmick was offensive. Red explained what the gimmick was, I really fail to see how that would be offensive in any shape or form?
Back to top Go down
Jonguin
Main Eventer

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Gazza wrote:
He got so much heat because he was a great heel, not because his gimmick was offensive. Red explained what the gimmick was, I really fail to see how that would be offensive in any shape or form?

It's America. Our panties are tight all the time.
Back to top Go down
TheFilthParade
Main Eventer
TheFilthParade

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:00 pm

I <3 Ash wrote:
Gazza wrote:

It's America. Our panties are tight all the time.

But his whole gimmick was to be against racism, How is it offensive to be against racism?

Only people who find that offensive are racists.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chris Jericho... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chris Jericho...   Chris Jericho... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chris Jericho...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next